RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing

Subject: RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <vicky -at- cleartechnical -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:14:04 -0400

Vicki Moorman said...

> I, too, am sensitive to perfumes and fragrances. I use scent free
laundry
> soaps and body soaps, and do not use any hair products other than
shampoo.
> do not use scented lotions or perfumes of any kind.
>
> You have to wonder... what is the objective of "cutting a wide swath"
as I
> call it? All it does is annoy other people. There is no place for
> 'artificial' pheromones in business, just as there is no place for
hitting
> on your co-workers.
>
> I feel that it is very rude to wear excessive fragrance of any kind
where
> people are "trapped" within your scent range. I expect fragrance on an
> evening out (though, again, not anywhere where people are trapped next
> you - as in the case of a theatre, movie, or performance, etc.).
>
> Great topic! I am self-employed from home now, and therefore no longer
> have
> to suffer this annoyance in a shared office. However... I do find
myself
> vocalizing my opinion (sans delicacy) when I am forced through a wall
of
> cheap, low-quality fragrance when out and about in public.

It seems like most of us know (or have the misfortune to be) extremely
sensitive to certain fragrances. Forget perfume in the office, some of
these people can never enjoy the warm, thick scent of flower gardens in
summer or the savory aromas of a spice-permeated kitchen during the
winter holidays.

Vicky's point is well-taken "_excessive_ fragrance" in any setting is
extremely offensive, because even the most pleasant fragrance, when
concentrated enough, can become obnoxious.

The most delicate situations occur when there is cultural crossover--I
have known women (and men) from some cultures that seem to douse
themselves in perfume. It is normal, and even encouraged, in some parts
of the world. But when that gets into an enclosed office (or some other
confined space) it can be powerful enough to bring tears to your eyes,
even if you are not sensitive to the fragrance.