RE: gaining control of a dysfunctional environment?

Subject: RE: gaining control of a dysfunctional environment?
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:35:52 -0400

1. Chaos does not insure failure.
2. Process does not insure success.
3. Documentation does not contol the company.

The documentation process in my environment became less chaotic after
management decided it needed to rein in the chaos among the developers.
Documentation was integrated in the control systems that were put in
place. Fine.

Prior to that, I developed techniques to "go with the flow."

If you present to management, remember that you are selling. Selling
means convincing your audience that there is a gap (a problem or an
opportunity) between where things are now and where they should be and
explaining how whatever you are selling fills the gap.

Note, if you have a problem creating documentation but nobody else
cares, they will not see a gap. The fact that we writers learned a way
of doing things is not a gap. Etc.

Enough musings.

Jim Shaeffer