Re: Ideas on Development of Disaster Recovery Procedures

Subject: Re: Ideas on Development of Disaster Recovery Procedures
From: "Shane Herring" <herrings -at- bigbutton -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Lyse Tremblay" <tremblay -dot- lyse -at- tremblayprudly -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 8:14:49

Hi Lyse.

David and Geoff bring some valuable info. The hardest part is you
coordinating.

To add to the other two comments I think one important aspect has been
missed. Risk/threat analysis. You need to know what the weak points are
and the potential threats (users, power company, it staff). By doing this
you can prioritise and gain a bigger picture. It will get bigger.
Procedures will minimise the risks and threats. Items such as change
control, security policies are an example.

Below is a simplistic view but I hope it will help.

I start from the source and work back. For example.

1. Risk - Data corruption.
Response - Restore database
Action - Instructions to restore database
Policy - maintenance schedule

2. Risk - OS failure
Response - Rebuild OS
Action - Instructions to reinstall OS and restore DB to operating status
Policy - No untested updates. Change logs.

3. Risk - Hardware failure
Response - Replace hardware (HDD, power supply)
Action - Instruction to replace hardware.
Policy - Hot spares.

4. Risk - Switch failure
5. Risk - Internal Power failure
6. Risk - Telco failure

and it goes on. As I said, a simplistic view but it's an approach that
worked for me in my last job. It helped me identify modules and write to
those modules.

HTHs
Cheers
Shane