Re: RSS feed tech question--RESOLVED

Subject: Re: RSS feed tech question--RESOLVED
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:01:47 -0400

Dick Margulis wrote:
> This may be a new record. FeedBurner fixed the bug less than 24 hours
> after I reported it. Doncha wish Microsoft responded that fast?

Hmm. You never said which aggregator (feed reader) you're using,
the one showing the fussy behavior. Which was it?

That's the culprit. RSS requires that author content be parsed as
CDATA, not scrutinized (and maybe transformed) for validity. That
way the author eats his own dog food.

Blogger left your rsquo alone (I checked last night). Good. I know
it's invalid. Thanks for staying out of it.

FeedBurner left your rsquo alone (I checked). FeedBurner does all
sorts of fancy XSL transforms, depending on which client is asking
for the "burned" feed, but it doesn't seem to fiddle with the raw
character data.

If rsquo was the breakage point, it was your aggregator doing the
breaking. I couldn't duplicate it in several I tried last night.

This stuff isn't about "bugs". Probably FeedBurner tweaked its XSLT
(or maybe a programmatic parser) for your aggregator, to hold its
hand a little tighter, so it could stop worrying and love the feed.

Which aggregator was it?

LQ