Re: fwd: you or he/it

Subject: Re: fwd: you or he/it
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:57:57 -0400

Not to beat a dead horse, but When I read "the user" I think "not me".

As Geoff indicated, there are many references out there that cite
"you" as appropriate for user documentation.

Not sure how to comment on the "lowly tech writer" part. I hope that
was in jest.

On 6/21/06, Melissa Nelson <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

My company tends to like me to use the term "the user" whenever possible.
During writing I always slip into using "you" and have to go back and change
it to the user...I would rather be informal but alas..I do not sign my own
paychecks :(
Of course the tech writer in Denmark uses "you" all the time..and it doesn't
get changed..sigh! Oh well..such is the life of a lowly tech writer :)

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter