RE: fwd: you or he/it

Subject: RE: fwd: you or he/it
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:31:22 -0400

On the contrary, I would think that an ESL reader (as Bill Swallow
suggested) might read "the user" as "not me".

>From the GNOME Documentation Style Guide chapter, "How to Write for
Translation": "Do not use personal pronouns other than *you*." [bold
face in original]

>From the IBM Style Guide: "When you are describing user actions, use a
second-person pronoun ('you')."

>From the www.plainlanguage.gov guideline, "Writing Reader-Friendly
Documents": "Use 'you' and other pronouns to speak directly to readers."

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.