Re: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting

Subject: Re: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:30:16 -0400

> Kimberly McClintock wrote:
>
> [[ I'm building a tech writing department & I have
> some questions, thought I'd throw out an informal
> survey... How many of you are involved in editing
> white papers written by the executives? Wish you
> could be, but aren't included? Have found it
> doesn't work somehow (politically!!)?

We're a bit behind the curve on whitepaper creation at this company. In
my most recent past life, I wrote all of the whitepapers by myself. I've
always played a major role in their creation.

>What is your
> relationship with marketing?

I've had various relationships with marketing over the years. Love/Hate,
Matter/Antimatter, ... ;-) In this company, I have a really good relationship
with marketing and I review all of the marketing collateral. This is not the
first position I've had where a VP insists that everything customer- facing
goes through tech pubs before its released, but it's one of the few where
that rule has been more or less accepted without a lot of push-back.

>How have the
> standards you set for your own docs been
> disseminated and implemented in other written
> materials? How much of a stickler are you?

If it's a technical document from professional services, I'm a stickler, but
marcomm is an entirely different animal. I always insist on serial commas,
and I'm a bit of a stickler on subject/verb agreement <g>, but I can appreciate
the use of a sentence fragment for emphasis.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher