Re: blue link special

Subject: Re: blue link special
From: "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:43:35 -0600

On 7/4/06, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> On 7/3/06, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> > >...or users who print on a black and white
> > > printer, etc.
> >
> > What do you care about how links are represented
> > when you print the document? Is there a way of clicking
> > a link from a printed page?
>
> Well, obviously they aren't going to click a link from
> a printed page. Give me a little bit of credit here. As
> you can see from my answer, I was giving a general warning
> about using color; I wasn't giving a
> specific response to obair81's original question.

Then obviously, give me a little credit, I wan't giving a specific
response to your reply.

<grin> Well, except that you quoted me, and asked questions directed
at my response. But except for that, I'm sure you weren't giving a
specific response to my comment. <wink>

However,
what I will do is include a page number. (see xxxx on page yyy),
where xxxx is the link in blue The page number works in PDF, whether
online or in print, and using color works for online.

I agree that this is a better solution that works for PDFs. It's
accessible, and is easy to use both online and in print. It is, in
fact, what we use for our documentation at my company.

If this thread has served a purpose, I hope it helps us all remember
the importance of designing documentation that is accessible to
color-blind users, and works if there is a reasonable chance your user
might be working from a hardcopy version of the documentation. As for
me, I think its time to go back to lurking. My apologies if anybody
was offended.

-Paul Pehrson