What do you call the person who reviews/approves outlines?

Subject: What do you call the person who reviews/approves outlines?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:21:24 -0400

Susan Tamaoki wondered: <<I saw a post recently about a tech pubs department that had a position for someone who creates and/or approves outlines for the department. I tried looking for the post today, but couldn't find it. I'd like to email the person who sent it and ask how it's working. The tech pubs group I'm in may try something similar and I'm on the short list for that job. So, what's this position called? How is it working?>>

Back where I used to work, we called that position "editor". <g> After all, _good_ editors do a bit more than just checking the spelling. As freelancer, I now offer this service to my clients because some of them come from cultures with very different rhetorical strategies than the journals they're writing for will accept. So without considerable help, they produce long, rambling, disordered, and unfocused manuscripts that get bounced hard by the journals.

I have an article on effective outlining scheduled to appear in STC's _Intercom_ magazine some time in the next few months, after which it'll be up on my Web site too, but if I were to provide an "outline" of the article <g>, it would look like this:

- Architects and carpenters slave over their plans and blueprints before they get to work because they know it works and know that they can't afford to redo the work twice.

- Writers should do this too, but because writing is easier to fix, often figure they can get away without this planning.

- Those writers who do create outlines rarely create effective outlines, because they simply say "I'll describe this feature" instead of actually writing a summary description.

- The solution: sweat the details (plan thrice, write once), and provide details instead of vaguely waving your hands and saying "this part of the document is called the Introduction".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
(try geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com if you don't get a reply)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!. http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l
Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that easy. Watch the demo at http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40infoinfocus.com

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

What do you call the person who reviews/approves outlines?: From: Susan Tamaoki

Previous by Author: Guidelines for Key Words?
Next by Author: Tools: Button-creation tool for Web pages (and online help)
Previous by Thread: What do you call the person who reviews/approves outlines?
Next by Thread: RE: What do you call the person who reviews/approves outlines?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads