Help server = datacom product

Subject: Help server = datacom product
From: "Erika Yanovich" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:55:38 +0200

Hi Whirlers,
My company started a major facelift of the web-based management utility
of our products (datacom HW) and I need to come up with a suitable help
system. Since the products act as web servers, the major problem is lack
of memory in the products, so the 3-pane help is out of question due to
its memory-expensive overhead. I looked at some other vendors to see how
they implemented different solutions and I basically saw 2 approaches:
many small topic-based html files or feature-based html files. The idea
is that each time, only 1 file is opened, while the rest stay compressed
in the product. To further complicate things, users will be able to
customize their interfaces, so I can't really know what they see on the
screen at any given time. Did anyone deal with this sort of thing?
Ideally I'd like to set up an automatic system that transforms
pre-marked portions of our Word manuals into html files. And this is the
easy part of the project. When it comes to field tooltips, I'm really
clueless.
Help, please!
TIA
Erika