Re: What's a good versioning system for Office documents?

Subject: Re: What's a good versioning system for Office documents?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:03:06 +0530

Andrew, thanks for pointing out that Subversion doesn't work on a
file-locking paradigm. I think that would disqualify Subversion, since
locking is one of the client's more-desired features. I'm surprised that SVN
doesn't support check-out and locking, but as you say, it's basic purpose is
text files/source code so maybe it's not all that much of an omission. I
_have_ read many positive reviews of SVN, and it's good at doing the thing
it's meant to do.

Paul (Filby), thanks for the enthusiastic review of VSS - it sounds like a
good alternative, except for the occasional corruption of databases which
seems to occur more often with larger databases. It provides file-locking,
which is a Good Thing! :-)

Lou and Pradeep, thank you for your ideas, links and all the trouble you
went to provide information! I'm afraid that if, as Andrew points out, SVN
doesn't do file-locking, it will be lacking something my client _needs_. I
would have liked very much to proffer SVN as an option, especially with the
detailed solutions you guys have laid out for me - but thank you very much
for your help even if SVN isn't a viable option for us

Paul (Pehrson), thanks again for that really good idea of using XML format;
and Al, thanks for your reply.

Tom Johnson wrote me off-list, too, I hope no one will mind if I thank him
on-list.

Right now, all I can do is summarize the valuable information all of you
have given me and present it to the client. The ball will soon descend in
their court. :-)

Thank you very much, all of you who responded. I hope I haven't missed
anyone out, but I've been operating on adrenalin for a good part of the day,
and no caffeine - not good for accuracy! :-\

Cheers,
Ed.
P.S. Tomorrow's Friday! Whew! Yay! :-)

On 7/13/06, Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com> wrote:

Edgar D' Souza wrote:

> Even now, I'm wondering how my suggestion of Subversion for the SCCS
> will be received.

Edgar:

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're working with binary files,
Subversion sounds like the wrong tool unless you can somehow enforce
VSS-like file locking to prevent each file from being checked out by
more than one person at a time. Concurrent editing depends on reliable
automatic merging of multiple authors' edits, and the merge tools all
work with lines of plain text; none of them merge MS Office documents.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that
easy. Watch the demo at http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/edgar.b.dsouza%40gmail.com

To be or not to be. -- Shakespeare
To do is to be. -- Nietzsche