RE: Introduction

Subject: RE: Introduction
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:50:37 -0500

Sherrill,

Like Marc Bryant, I would recommend a double-major or at least a strong
minor in a science or engineering discipline. Regardless of whether you
major in English, Journalism, Scientific and Technical Communication, or
something else, that background sets you apart from people who find it
challenging to program a VCR.

Encourage the kids to learn at least one other language besides their
native one. The more the better. Even if you don't become fluent in all
of them, the familiarity with other languages can be an advantage.

A good grammar class also is an asset, regardless of what you major in.
People will have a higher perception of you if you can put words
together well--in writing or in speech.

Regarding schools, I have to put in a plug for my alma mater. Michigan
Technological University, way up in the far northern reaches of
Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula, has one of the best programs in
Scientific and Technical Communication. You're trained to become a
technical writer surrounded by the engineering-types who you will likely
work with one day out in the "real world."

http://www.mtu.edu/art_hum/stc/

Donna

Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.
Vernon Hills, IL
djones -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.