Re: Globally renaming condition tags in FrameMaker?

Subject: Re: Globally renaming condition tags in FrameMaker?
From: "Fiona Krycek" <fiona -dot- krycek -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:46:36 -0400

hi there,

I was just re-reading this thread and finding myself confused about how
to search for a conditional tag and replace it with a different conditional
tag, as the last person in this thread suggests. I'm using Frame 7.2, and it
seems to me that the "Find/Change" box makes it easy to *find* a conditional
tag, but not so easy to replace it. That is, the "Find" field is a drop-down
list that includes "Conditional text." You can select "Conditional text,"
then choose the tag you want to find. But when you go to "Change," the field
has only three options:

To Text:
To Character Format....
By Pasting

I don't see an obvious way to do this. Can anyone help?

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to just change the name of an existing
conditional text tag, that would be a huge help.

thanks,
Fiona

=====================

*From*: *David Wood <davidwood -at- canada -dot- com>*
*To*: *"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>*
*Date*: *Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:53:30 -0500*

At 09:56 AM 2/6/2002 +0100, Chris wrote:

You should be able to change the name of a tag one document at a time. But
import formats won't work because that function is additive... If you change
FOO to BAR in doc A, then import cond fmts into doc B, doc B will have both
FOO and BAR. Worse, all text tagged FOO will still be tagged FOO.

This being the case, just add an extra step to the previous procedure: do a
global search and replace of all FOO instances with BAR.

=====================

*From*: *Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>*
*To*: *"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>*
*Date*: *Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:56:30 +0100*
You should be able to change the name of a tag one document at a time. But
import formats won't work because that function is additive... If you change
FOO to BAR in doc A, then import cond fmts into doc B, doc B will have both
FOO and BAR. Worse, all text tagged FOO will still be tagged FOO.

You should look into the FrameUsers list and web site...

Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML
http://www.telecable.es/personales/cud/
cud -at- telecable -dot- es

=====================

*From*: *David Wood <davidwood -at- canada -dot- com>*
*To*: *"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>*
*Date*: *Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:25:18 -0500*

Rowena, Quills:

Does anyone know if it is possible to
globally rename a condition tag in Frame?
I'm using FrameMaker 6.0 on Windows 2000.

Unlike tables, para tags, char tags, and a whole lot of other objects in
FrameMaker, you cannot easily rename condition tags (Adobe, are you paying
attention).

Isn't it possible to click "Edit Tag" (or something) in the Conditional Text
dialog box to make changes to the tag, including its name? (I don't have
Frame installed on this machine so I'm going by memory here). If so, here's
what you can try:

1. First, make sure all files in your book have the same conditional text
settings/tags.

2. Change the conditional text tag name in one file (let's call it "File1.fm")
and save the file. (Keep the file open.)

3. Open the book and highlight all files except the one you modified in step
2.

4. Click File > Import > Formats (I think).

5. Select File1.fm as the file from which to import formats.

5. In the Import Formats dialog box, clear all selections except
"Conditional Text Settings."

6. Click Import (or OK?). This copies the Conditional Text Settings of your
modified file to the rest of the files in the book.

7. Shift+click File > Save All.

This *should* work, but again, I'm going from memory here and I may have
forgotten things. (I shouldn't really send this out without checking it
against an actual installation of FrameMaker, but I don't have that option
at the moment. :-) Hope it helps, anyway.

=====================

*From*: *hedley_finger -at- myob -dot- com -dot- au*
*To*: *"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>*
*Date*: *Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:14:42 +1100*

Rowena, Quills:

*Does anyone know if it is possible to*
*globally rename a condition tag in Frame?*
*I'm using FrameMaker 6.0 on Windows 2000.*

Unlike tables, para tags, char tags, and a whole lot of other objects in
FrameMaker, you cannot easily rename condition tags (Adobe, are you paying
attention).

METHOD 1

Create a new condition tag with the desired name.

Copy it to the clipboard.

Search the text for applications of the unwanted condition tag and replace
it.

Delete the unwanted condition tag.

METHOD 2

Save the file as MIF, then search for the old name and replace with the
new.

Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

=====================

*From*: *quills -at- airmail -dot- net*
*To*: *"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>*
*Date*: *Sat, 2 Feb 2002 00:37:45 -0600*

At 4:04 PM -0800 2/1/02, Hart, Rowena wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to
globally rename a condition tag in Frame?
I'm using FrameMaker 6.0 on Windows 2000.

I have RTFM and searched the frame-users
list archives to no avail. I know there are
a lot of Frame users on this list so I hope
someone will know the answer to this
question.

Rowena,

I seem to remember that Global condition changes can be made in FM 6. Use
the book file, and select all the affected files. If you experiment, I am
sure that you will find the definitive answer. Sorry, I don't really recall
the actual way it works.

Scott

=====================

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to
globally rename a condition tag in Frame?
I'm using FrameMaker 6.0 on Windows 2000.

I have RTFM and searched the frame-users
list archives to no avail. I know there are
a lot of Frame users on this list so I hope
someone will know the answer to this
question.

Cheers,

Rowena