RE: plural form of 'equipment' ?

Subject: RE: plural form of 'equipment' ?
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:59:26 -0400

Equipment is a mass noun, like "furniture" or "sand" or "gravel", so
while it may refer to more than one thing it remains technically
singular, like "furniture". So you'd say "several pieces of equipment"
or "all the equipment needed to support XXX function" or whatever makes
sense in context.

Incidentally, I learned in 8th grade that those things were "collective
nouns", but on doing more research I find that the term "collective
noun" usually refers either to words designating groups of people such
as "team" or "faculty" or "staff", or those fun terms for groups such as
"a murder of crows". Mrs. McGilveray was wrong, possibly for the only
time in her teaching career.

- Jessica Weissman
Hillcrest Laboratories


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!.

Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that easy. Watch the demo at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: RE: Include statements on the first printed page?
Next by Author: RE: Survey Question
Previous by Thread: Plural form of 'equipment' ?
Next by Thread: RE: plural form of 'equipment' ?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads