Re: Does this job exist?

Subject: Re: Does this job exist?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:04:00 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> Yes, such jobs exist, most frequently in small companies. In fact,
> in really small companies this is pretty much the default for the
> tech writer job/s.

+1. Well, maybe not _really_ small companies, because under a
certain size they don't quite see the need. I work for a very hip
outfit with maybe thirty people at my location (which is
development), maybe five in NYC (CEO, general presence), two in
London and sales force scattered to the wind.

A mix like that needs, appreciates, and can afford a professional,
generalist communicator and content manager. Software dev is the
likeliest sector. I have the job you want -- and I'm keeping it, so
don't get any ideas.

They don't come around very often (in my area), and may not appear
on the usual radar. How'd we match up? STC chapter meeting. Yep,
two years of big STC volunteerism actually paid-off.

Monitor your local newspaper, TV news, booster-ish business rag,
etc. When they mention or profile up-and-coming tech firms, reach
out. One of them is waiting for the call. Look for ones that have
crossed the size-line and _want_ a full-timer, not a contractor.

If you're as lucky as me, you'll get to work with uniformly smart
people in an entrepreneurial culture, minus the politics of more
"mature" organizations. Amen to that.

LQ