Re: Career change to tech writing

Subject: Re: Career change to tech writing
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Adrienne Kelley" <puckishone -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:03:44 -0400

On 7/26/06, Adrienne Kelley <puckishone -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Based on the research I've done so far, it seems to me that the best place

to start would be with some "re-education": namely, a certificate program
in
technical writing and editing.

I think this sounds like an excellent place to start. My B.A. from San
Francisco State University prepared me well for entering into the workforce
11 years ago. The program did an excellent job of cross-training us, for
example, having us take a graphic design class and a print shop class, which
prepare you to work with printers and technical artists. They also had us
take classes in another discipline, as technical writing is usually melded
with something else...be it computers, charitable foundations, science, or
what have you. If you choose the right program, you'll come out very
well-rounded, and with an idea of the type of technical writing you want to
do.

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com