Asking for help in designing a new document

Subject: Asking for help in designing a new document
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

Our main database guy asked me to put together a "run
book" for our Oracle databases. He wants something
that would give a new database developer all the
information needed to understand our database
environment, to minimize the ramp-up time needed by
new personnel. The idea is, if his ROBAB probability
goes to 100%, this document should tell his
replacement everything he needs to know about keeping
the databases running. (Run Over By A Bus)

However, I've never before had to document anything to
do with databases, so I really don't have a clear idea
what to put in this thing. I'd like to hear from
anyone who knows something about database maintenance.

Here's a list of things said our database guy thinks
should be in this document:

* Server names and IP addresses
* Login information for database administrator
* Full pathname of Oracle home directory
* Locations of listener configuration files and
logs
* List of all maintenance jobs and scripts

To avoid reinventing the wheel, I've been trying to
figure out how much we already have covered. We have
a document that covers required security measures. It
gives things like setting the password lock time and
login session timeout limits. We also have a document
that covers maintenance procedures, things like backup
schedules/procedures, and administrator account
environment variables.

I need to figure out what else should go into this
"run book" before I can decide what pre-existing
material would be useful. Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://mail.yahoo.com