Re: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: Re: Reviewers who don't review
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:49:56 -0700

I've been sorely tempted to do something like that in the past!

One thing I found (by accident) that worked for me was to give the manual to the engineers in a format they could use. After weeks of asking for reviews, with no luck, I printed out the hardware manual (for a product with a circuit board and lots of dip switches and jumpers that needed to be configured upon installation) in a booklet form. It was the size of a regular sheet of paper, folded in half. The copy machine would also act as a printer, and would automatically scale the document in half, get the pages printed correctly, and put the staples in the middle.

I now had a document that the installers could throw in their briefcase, instead of a three-ring binder. I went from getting no feedback about the manual to calls from the other side of the country "can I have a copy of that cute little manual you sent with so-and-so?". Was the first and only time I've had a manual called cute.

Doesn't work in all cases, but if you can give it to the people in a format they'll use, they're more likely to use and review the documents.

Keri Morgret

Some similar technique might apply for our tech-writing reviewing
problems. Does anyone have an idea how we might work this--without
going broke in the process from people who circulate "additional"
review copies and tell people, "Read page 19." ??