RE: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign

Subject: RE: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:18:32 -0400

Previous to my arrival as the only tech writer at my company (I'm a
contractor), all docs were produced by the various engineers. Therefore,
Word was used, so as to allow the engineers to edit the docs as they
wish) and that was that.

I much prefer FrameMaker, but due to the need for potential edits by
engineers, it probably ain't gonna happen here.

And my extreme distaste for Word has been pushed to even a higher level
over the past months while I watched it arbitrarily perform lots of
unintended stunts with my work - for instance, undo / remove text and /
or formatting in my manuals.

Yes, I've gone through online helps and tutorials to ensure I was doing
everything correctly, etc.

I even showed a few engineering coworkers firsthand how the tagging of a
paragraph as "List Bullet" somehow resulted in the removal of bullets
from ALL 30 instances of paragraphs with this same tag!!!!!!! Thank GOD
for multiple "UNDO"!!!!!!! So I could get my stuff back to before and do
a workaround!! to get the measly bullet I needed for this one last
instance!!!

I tried to use Word to produce a scientific journal about 5 years ago. I
figured that I could simply produce each article separately, and then
somehow string them together to produce the full-length book (approx 60
pages).

So I spent several hours composing / arranging the first story -
complete with images - and then saved the file and powered down. Upon
opening the file the next day, images had shifted all over the place.
And no, I don't know how it happened!! So I spent more time getting all
back together, saving it and closing and reopening the file and it still
looked good. But once more, the next day when I reopened the file, it
had shuffled again.

So it's been FrameMaker ever since and I've never looked back (except
here at my office where I'm stuck).

I'm sure many of you have published thousand-page books using Word with
no problem, but not me.

I still remember two VERY important things about this:

* I've been told that Microsoft itself uses FrameMaker to produce its
own documentation.
* Word is good for perhaps really long shopping lists and that's about
all (attributed to a Microsoft staffer several years ago)

-- Ken in Atlanta