My experience with a recruiter

Subject: My experience with a recruiter
From: "Frank Ellifsen" <frank -dot- ellifsen -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:34:51 -0600

Hello fellow techwirlers. I'm a long time "lurker", first time poster to the
list.

A couple of months ago, I saw a flurry of activity around a thread that
dealt with recruiters. I remember a particularly strong opinion expressed
that called recruiters "money-changing parasites who shouldn't sleep well
but probably do."

Having never worked with a recruiter, this thread made me wary. I had a
friend who got his first tech writing job through a recruiter, but I thought
he got stiffed on the salary.

My perception changed last month when I got a phone call from a recruiter
who found my information on Linked-In. He called to see if I knew anybody
who was interested in a full-time permanent tech writing position at a local
company.

I talked to him about the position and about the company, and about my
current work situation. I told him I was very happy at my current employer,
but I was always willing to explore options -- particularly options that
could be very beneficial career-wise and financially.

Eventually I had a couple of interviews with the company, and they offered
me a position with their company. I went back to my current employer, and
after talking to my manager, decided to take the position.

Now I'm happily situated in a new position at a fantastic company. The work
is challenging and exciting, and I'm getting paid 30% more than I was at my
previous company.

I thought I would just share my experience to let others out there know that
working with a recruiter can be a rewarding experience. I wasn't even really
considering a job change, but the phone call came, and I was glad I didn't
just hang up on the opportunity.

Frank Ellifsen