Re: My experience with a recruiter

Subject: Re: My experience with a recruiter
From: Pageologist <pageology -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:11:20 -0500

On 8/4/06, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

I think you are confusing temp agency and placement recruiters,
which is a common mistake. The former works for an agency
selling temporary talent to a client, then trying to hire it for the
lowest possible rate to maximize its profit. The latter works
for an agency hired by a client to find it a fulltime employee,
and is paid a commission based on a percentage of the starting
salary the client company pays to the person hired. Frank's
post describes his experience with one of the latter type.

I've seen a lot of agencies that blur this line. They hire for short term
contracts as well as "contract-to-hire" positions where it looks like the
employer just wants to try you on for size. I just don't see a clear
distinction in the market lately. One thing that's bugged me in my latest
go-around for a position this year is the number of companies that want to
hire on contract, but are only willing to pay, at best, rates equivalent to
middle-of-the-road salaries for captive employees. This is becoming common
enough in my area that it's getting a lot harder to find anyone that offers
rates high enough above "captive" rates to make it worthwhile to be a
contractor. A few agencies are still trying to do this, but they appear to
be having an increasingly difficult time competing.