Re: Reality Check

Subject: Re: Reality Check
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Greg Holmes <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

> >How important is certification in securing a job or
> >contract/subcontract in IT/IS related positions,
> technical
> >writing, website development and such?

I have no way of knowing for sure - no employer has
ever indicated whether it actually made a difference -
but I think it probably does help in a way.
Certifications probably don't doesn't carry as much
weight as the type of degree or years or experience,
but listing certifications on a resume shows potential
employers that you're continuing to learn new things
relevant to your business. It helps give the
impression that you're energetic and committed, that
you're a good learner and you're more likely to get up
to speed quicker.

In most cases, I can't imagine any employer thinking
that someone with X years of experience would *have*
to also have some type of certification. He probably
won't know anything about the certifiying agency, so
he probably wouldn't care about their opinion. He'll
care more that another company thought you were good
enough to keep you on board for X number of years,
because the other company's decision to keep you is
based on the same criteria he would use in judging
whether to hire you. The only places where I think
employers would actually require some sort of
certification is in some really esoteric field.

My two cents.

http://mail.yahoo.com