Software Tools for Document Archiving

Subject: Software Tools for Document Archiving
From: <classe -at- charter -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:26:47 -0400

I am looking for advice on software tools used to archive FrameMaker, MS
Word and graphics files. Currently we create project folders on a server and
move the completed books and associated files from our hard drives to the
server. This method does not allow files to be tracked and has caused many
problems. Our needs are to have software that allows files to be tracked as
they are checked in and out and finally archived when completed.

In recent postings I read about MS SharePoint, but the software seems too
complex for our needs. We have a small group, so we may not have access to
an administrator. In past places of employment, I have used MS Visual Source
Safe and Documentum eRoom to accomplish these tasks.

Any suggestions plus pro's and con's about any software tools would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Ed Soomre
Senior Technical Writer