Re: Desiging your Documentation/Writing Department

Subject: Re: Desiging your Documentation/Writing Department
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:20:21 -0400

How to protect information is a problem whether the employee is a
telecommunter using their own system, a telecommuter using a company system,
a corporate employee taking home a laptop, or a desktop system in the office
attached to the network. Theft is a fact of life that must be guarded
against. One way is to ensure that the data cannot be taken off the
server. In this sense, the telecommuter's system becomes a node tot he
network via VPN or other method. Another is to ensure the hard drive is
password protected, so if the system is stolen and turned off, the thief can
never access the contents of the hard drive. The problem with identity
theft can often be traced back to human error. The computer didn't download
the critical data and leave itself in the back seat of the convertible with
its top down while the user went in for a Starbucks.
Management issues are educational issues. Global companies have discovered
that teleconferencing, instant messaging and e-mail are a lot cheaper than
face-to-face meetings. The same argument can be made for virtual offices.
It's not that hard to track an employees connect time, or to track their
record of deliveries. I've worked for both small and large companies where
information was passed back and forth via PDFs, CD-ROMs, telephone calls,
e-mails, etc. The problem is that our vision of an office environment is
usually a cubicle that fills at eight a.m. and empties at five p.m. Yet,
there is no reason why you can't work from daybreak until late morning, go
to the beach, fly a kite, or mow the lawn, then finish the task later in the
afternoon or evening. The key is moving away from set times to deliveries,
that's pretty hard for most workers. (I'm, of course talking about
technical writers, not assembly line workers, doctors, etc.) Cell phones,
pagers, Blackberries, and other devices can keep the telecommuter in touch
with the manager in the event of an emergency.
Of course, my scenario makes it impossible for the office schmoozer to work
their magic, and all bets are off when someone finally invents the
transporter.
Beam me to the office Scotty, I gotta meet with Mr. Big.
Al
[1]j-m -at- creativeoptions -dot- com wrote:

Al,

I think your plan is absolutely right on. It would alleviate so many traffic
jams, conserve our fuel resources. On a more personal level eliminate
excessive time management, stress and family relationship issues. In my
mind, this is an ideal to shoot for. But:

How would you resolve these kinds of issues:
(Another VA computer goes missing)

How would you address the need for managers to feel needed and other similar
corporate control issues?

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [2]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang