RE: Internships (was: Breaking into the tech writing job market)

Subject: RE: Internships (was: Breaking into the tech writing job market)
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:33:37 -0400

Funny, isn't it? People working in the field have really odd notions, don't
they?

But, in fact, technical
> writing uses a
> special style. It is, after all, based on common English
> usage. One who
> takes a course in technical writing learns how to style prose
> and documents
> the way a technical writer would. It's not akin to learning another
> language, as some of you are suggesting. All writing is the
> same, whether it
> be fiction, poetry, or technical prose. The difference is on style and
> presentation, which, of course, depends on your audience and
> rhetorical
> situation. Technical writing tends be more concise, full of
> concepts and
> lacking muddy prepositional phrases. A skilled writer can write on any
> subject (given they do the research) and in any style (given
> they have the
> skill.)

Clearly, you know more about it than the people you are seeking information
from, so why bother with us?

> So the question about my "experience" seems (to me) to be a
> bit irrelevant.

You come here asking for help and then complain that interest in your actual
circumstances is "irrelevant"? I think perhaps other things are involved in
your not getting jobs.

> Obviously I'm not an engineer or scientist (if I were I
> wouldn't be looking
> for a job writing).

That is illogical. Plenty of engineers or scientists *prefer* to write.

>My experience is in writing.

I can see you've truly mastered the art of rhetoric.

> But if you must know:

Frankly, my dear, ...

I have done some web production, taught
> composition
> and specialized in teaching with technology, had editorial
> positions for
> print anthologies and was a chef for 13 years. I've also been
> a musician
> since I was seven years old (that's thirty years) but I don't consider
> myself an expert in any of that. What I am an expert in is
> writing. Which,
> in my mind, would qualify me for an entry level tech writing
> job. But some
> of you are saying "No," that's not how it works. From the
> majority of the
> use this for my
> PhD dissertation) it seems to be either luck or good timing that lands
> someone that first tech writing job. Which is interesting, in itself.

Your arrogance alone ought to give you an inroad *somewhere,* I would think.

> I must apologize for opening several cans of worms with this
> topic, it was
> not my intention. But this is excellent reading and in
> interesting topic.
> Maybe a novel...

Why apologize? If I may speak for the list, we enjoy helping people who come
here looking for information. We occasionally have to deal with those who
*say* they want information and end up wanting only ego strokes instead (and
who seem to already know all the answers) -- and when they don't get them,
they insult the people who spent the time preparing posts for them. It's all
part of the joy of techwr-l.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com