Re: Showing Samples: WAS (Designing your Documentation/Writing Department)

Subject: Re: Showing Samples: WAS (Designing your Documentation/Writing Department)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Robotti, Anne \(Carlin\)" <ARobotti -at- CarlinGroup -dot- com>, Marsha -dot- Kamish -at- shell -dot- com, al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

> > portfolio. When I try to show an interviewer some of my work
> > and why it's good (blush) they aren't interested! It bums me
> > out. And this is from people who end up hiring me.

I get them to want to see the portfolio by creating a mystery and
anticipation around it.

First, my portfolio is a 5inch thick black leather, zippered
presenation binder...that puppy cost me 80 bucks about 10 years ago.
It is quite heavy...in fact, I have a should strap on it...it's
almost the size of my computer briefcase, which I hang on the other
shoulder.

When I walk into the interview, I make sure that when I place it on
the table or desk, it makes a nice solid "whump" sound and just a
little desk vibration. I then leave it alone. If they ask what is
that, I say "My portfolio." but nothing more.

So, we talk the normal interview talk. However, I notice that every
one in a while, their eyes wander to the portfolio on the desk...it's
become the proverbial "elephant in the room". Sooner or later, they
ask to see what's inside, which is all plastic sheeted pages and tabs
according to 6 different categories of writing; proposals,
specifications, customer documentation, internal technical
documentation, etc.

I was in sales for about 18 years. I learned what every good sales
oerson learns...people don't buy the steak...they buy the sizzle.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."