Re: Podcasts for Customer Support

Subject: Re: Podcasts for Customer Support
From: "Ken Munro" <kenmunro -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Sean Wheller" <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:12:52 -0300

I would expect that video podcasts would be better for support or
training materials than audio-only podcasts.

I think lots of software companies already use video for training
presentations, and the visual cues, I think, would be key to
communicating how to use the software.

I have seen lot's of Flash videos demonstrating how to use
applications. It would just be a matter of converting it to MPEG and
then referring to it in an RSS feed. Anyone who has existing training
videos would do well to do this to get better value out of their
existing investments.

Cheers.

Ken

--
email: kenmunro -at- gmail -dot- com
website: http://www.kenmunro.com/

On 8/14/06, Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za> wrote:

On Monday 14 August 2006 17:26, Marc Bryant wrote:
> Very interesting concept. It makes for great marketing as well.

Yes, I can definatley see the rate of adoption for marketing leading that of
support, as usual.

> Microsoft and some other companies (apple) do this in a round-about way by
> having developers/designers podcast/blog their products.

I saw that, did you see that CISCO is also doing it? These companies are
usually the early adopters. Perhaps it is indicative of a new direction for
the future, although one cannot tell at this stage.

Certainly I can think of one or two customers who would benefit greatly from
having their own radio station :-) I noticed that Novell is already doing it
[http://www.novell.com/openaudio]. I must say, it does help keep informed.

I also see a few people doing video casting [vodcasting]. Makes the
imagination run a bit wild thinking of the videocast user manual.

Hmm I wonder how one would go about developing something like that?