Re: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!

Subject: Re: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:35:10 -0400

If one is known as the text expert within the company, it may even open doors that were previously closed. What lawyers really feel confident in their grasp of grammar and punctuation to claim they wouldn't need help with such an issue? At least this raises awareness, and might even make a few people realize that we're not just text monkeys but experts in everything written. Of course, you may have to draw the Corporate types a map to your cubicle ... :-)

Claire Conant wrote:

Beth wrote: Unfortunately, the legal beagles never share their intentions with the lowly editors, so there would be no way of knowing that adding a comma for readability was going to substantively change the intent of the contract.

That is too often true. One of the people I forwarded this to was our
assistant general counsel. I work with him frequently when it comes to
legal content in our documentation. Admittedly different content than we
are talking about here, but I feel fortunate that he is open and
receptive and shares what he can. He genuinely appreciates the value of
an editor. Rare, I'm sure.

--
Beth Agnew
Catch the Buzz: http://bethbuzz.blogspot.com

Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u