RE: Question about warning and caution icons

Subject: RE: Question about warning and caution icons
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:20:44 -0700

Dick Margulis wrote:

> rather than a standard triangle icon, there is a low-res, screened
> image of a typographic "fist" (or "index"), that is, a hand with
> its forefinger extended to the right. The same fist is used for
> both warnings and cautions.
> I'd like to recommend strongly that they move away from this
> convention and use standard warning and caution icons.
> Can you point me to a source for standard (IEEE??) symbols,
> preferably EPS, but I can deal with any format? I haven't done a
> hardware manual in a long time, and I'm not sure where to look.

Dick:

The relevant standards are ISO 3864 and ANSI Z535.4. See:

http://www.safetylabel.com/productsafetylabels/faq.php

There's an extensive library of safety symbols (in GIF and EPS formats)
at:

http://www.cptec.org/symbols.html

Read their license terms; I believe the symbols may be used free of
charge in technical documents, but I don't know whether your user
manuals qualify.

Much of the site is in German, but there's enough English that you
should be able to find the "All symbols for download" links.

Good luck...

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA