Advice on managing new tech writer

Subject: Advice on managing new tech writer
From: Julie Harrison <julie_hudds -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:25:48 +0000 (GMT)

Hello everybody!

I could really do with some advice on how to successfully manage a new technical writer based on a different continent.
I'm not an experienced technical writer, I've fallen into this job but must add I love every minute of it (well, for the most part anyway!).
My background is in engineering and I am now the only technical writer/editor/documentation coordinator in a company with 200 engineers. I'm learning every day, reading this forum and the HATT forum has helped me immensely and I've had lots of help in the past. I don't pretend to be in the same league as many of you, but I aspire to it :-)

Anyway........
My boss is getting me some help - this is a fantastic relief to me. However, things as they are in the world, my help will be based in India and I'm in the UK.
I will be responsible for managing this writer's day to day work and ensuring targets and deadlines are met and maintaining quality levels and such like.
This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I'm looking forward to the challenge, although I am rather nervous and if I'm honest, rather scared too. This is my first experience of managing anyone. I supervised students on their placements a few years ago, but that's all I've done.
I'm currently reading Judith Tarutz's book Technical Editing and am finding the information in it very useful but wonder if any of you have more specific advice you could give.

Do any of you have any similar experiences of this situation? Any tips for me?
I'll be very grateful for any information and advice you can provide.

Thanks in advance
Julie