problems with images in a PDF

Subject: problems with images in a PDF
From: "Fiona Krycek" <fiona -dot- krycek -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:24:35 -0400

hi there,

Can anyone help with this weird PDF issue I've come across? Here's what
happened: I asked an engineer to review a book. He printed out the PDF on
his computer, marked it up, and brought it to me with comments (yes, so far
everything's awesome ;). What's odd, though, is that a number of the images
in his printout look, well, weird. For example, the book contains flow
charts that were created in Visio, saved as .emf files, then imported into
FrameMaker. With some of these images, the intention is for certain elements
-- namely, rectangles that have various "fill" colors -- to overlap
slightly, as if they are stacked. They show up correctly just about
everywhere: in Visio, in FrameMaker, in the PDF, and in most of the
printouts that I've seen. But in this engineer's printouts, the fill of the
rectangles is absent, so what shows up is several outlines of rectangles.

Further, some of the rectangles that were created with darker fill have
text labels that appear in white. So a related problem with this engineer's
printout is that he can't see these text labels. Other text labels (for
example, the ones that appear in black on rectangles that have lighter fill)
show up fine.

This may not be the biggest deal -- lots of people have printed out this
book and don't appear to have had this problem. But it bothers me because I
don't understand how these images could be showing up correctly at every
stage but then not printing out correctly, even if this engineer does have
some weird print settings. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
Fiona