Cases for telecommuting/working remotely

Subject: Cases for telecommuting/working remotely
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:49:14 -0500

> Just asking to be able to work from home is not enough, you need
> to justify it. Create a business case for telecommuting.

You can also create a personal case. Work so hard that your manager
knows that it would be difficult or very expensive to replace you. Then
when you decide to ask about working remotely, your manager may be more
willing to consider it just to keep you with the company. If you haven't
shown that you can get your work done well and on time while you're in
the office, you are unlikely to get the chance to try to do it from
somewhere else.

One thing that you can do to help your case is to keep a running tally
of the things you work on, breaking it down into smaller tasks if you
work on just one large project. The task list in Outlook provides a good
way to keep track of this kind of thing, and you can export the contents
of the list to an Excel spreadsheet. When the time comes to discuss
working from home, you can arm yourself with the tasks that you have
completed and the time frame in which you did them.

As an added bonus, the task list also helps in yearly self-evaluations
and at raise time. As I mark tasks as complete, I move them into an
archive folder, so at the end of the year, I can go back and see exactly
what I worked on. By December, I'm lucky to remember what I worked on in
November, let alone what I worked on earlier in the year. :-)

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.