RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages

Subject: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Judith -dot- McCrea -at- citect -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:36:43 -0400

Personally, I think you're overthinking it, and certainly overstating
it when you refer to this a "misuse of English". The terminology
used in any technological or scientific field is quite separate from
general English and has its own rules of acceptable usage.

In many specific cases, the Microsoft Manual of Style recommends
that you avoid fine distinctions about user interface elements,
presumably because such distinctions add little value for experienced
user and are likely to confuse naive users. (The exception Microsoft
allows for is a developer audience, which is not the case here.)

Your user interface has dialog boxes, some of which have multiple
pages and tabs to navigate among them. Once you're on a page it
doesn't matter whether it's a tabbed page or a regular page, so
what value or additional understanding is that word adding? Keep
it simple: dialog, tab, page.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Judith McCrea" <Judith -dot- McCrea -at- citect -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:34:57 +1000

Hi all,
I am documenting a Windows-based product that uses multiple tabs.
I strongly feel that the "tab" is the little edge piece that sticks
(or out) letting you select a page of information which is thus a
"tabbed page". Microsoft refer to this "tabbed page" as a "Tab" but
that's a misuse of English.
How do other writers refer to these "pages"? Is there an agreed term
other than Tab?
Thanks in advance,



Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

What to call tabs and tabbed pages: From: Judith McCrea

Previous by Author: RE: links are live in FrameMaker, dead in PDF
Next by Author: Re: Do you edit with your mouth open?
Previous by Thread: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
Next by Thread: Re: What to call tabs and tabbed pages

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads