Re: FW: Tech writers: our sad lives; the winter of our disco...

Subject: Re: FW: Tech writers: our sad lives; the winter of our disco...
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Mike Schmidt" <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:28:41 -0400

I have a similar story.

When my daughter was in grade 7, her teacher went on mat leave and
they had a sub in. There was a real personality conflict between him
and my daughter, and he would frequently phone me with stupid
complaints. When I stopped returning his calls, he started sending
notes home to me. One note was full of spelling and grammatical
errors, which I marked up and returned to him. I never heard from him
again.

In case you're wondering what type of complaints I felt were stupid,
they were comments such as "I don't like the way your daughter looks
at me" (I offered to send her with sunglasses), "I don't like the way
your daughter sits", etc.

Pathetic, eh?

Suzette Leeming

On 8/18/06, Mike Schmidt <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv> wrote:

Well, I had another one, too. Way back in the early '90s, I left an
apartment in Nashville and there was a dispute. I paid up my rent, but I
refused to pay for things like light bulbs I'd unscrewed (above bathroom
mirror) that they replaced, and for some supposed damage my roommate
did. As a result, I had to put up with a collection agency for a while.

Anyway, I was getting letters and I'd answer, telling them I had no
intention of paying, etc. The guy writing the letters seemed literate
and he wrote good letters - annoying, but good. One day, I got a letter
written by someone else in the organization and it was absolutely
atrocious. So.... I grabbed a red pen, marked it all up, graded the
paper (C-), and sent it back.

In short order, I got a scathing letter from the original guy telling me
what he would and would not stand for, and other such BS. It went on for
a while and eventually died out. But, I apparently hit the target dead
on.

Is it strange that I derive a sense of pleasure from this behavior?