Software requirements

Subject: Software requirements
From: "Ladonna Weeks" <ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:42:36 -0500

Greetings!

I looked through some of the archives and couldn't find an answer to my
question. I am hoping some of you can assist me.

One of my TW duties is to help with an internal web site that contains
requirements for our new product.The requirments are stated in very general
terms in order to leave opportunity for the developers to design the
product. Here are a few examples:

1. It shall be possible to set a time period during which the [product] will
reboot at a random time during the set time period.
2. The set time period shall be from 1 to 24 hours. Default shall be 5.
3. Default time shall be 10:00 AM local time.

We are writing a test case for each requirement. However, we have come to
realize that during testing we need some kind of specifications that
describe the behavior of the product as it ends up being designed so that
something in the GUI or functionality doesn't get accidentally changed after
the customer has become accustomed to it. The person writing the
requirements has come up with the notion of including design features after
the fact which describe how the product works. When we test, we would test
against the requirements _and_ the design features.

I am trying to figure out how to write these design features without getting
buried in details. Have any of you dealt with a similar problem?

Ladonna Weeks
ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com
314-895-7674