Evaluations

Subject: Evaluations
From: "Darges, Katherine" <katherine -dot- darges -at- defensegp -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:36:54 -0400

Our fiscal year ends 30 September, so the company for which I work is in
the review process now. We start by giving our manager a one-page
outline of what we feel are our major accomplishments, tasks, strengths,
and professional advancements for the past year. Our manager compares
these with our stated goals and assigned tasks as identified in the
previous year's review and combines that information with his and
customers' assessments of our abilities and performance. We all are
graded on the same published criteria: professionalism, knowledge of
subject matter, responsiveness to customers, ability to work on time and
within budget, project management, etc. Our manager also provides
written comments on our strengths, weaknesses, areas in which we have
improved, and have gone "above and beyond". In the last two weeks of
September we sit down with the manager and he/she reviews the assessment
with each of us. We also identify goals, plans, and professional
development interests for the coming year, which becomes a measure for
the next year's review.

Management reviews the whole package, so, if an assessment seems wrong,
there is a chance of someone catching it. Additionally, if we disagree
with the manager's assessment we may make written comments or add things
such as comments and commendations from customers and peer comments to
the record. We can ask for an additional review by higher levels of
management - all the way up to the company pachyderms. (No disrespect.
Gov't/contractor term for the really big, really powerful, afraid of
nothing, and able to defend themselves.)

The review is used to determine raises for the coming year and our
end-of-year bonuses. (Everyone gets a raise and a bonus, but some get
more than others.)

Overall the system seems pretty fair and informative. It gives
employees an understanding of how the company sees us and values what we
do. If we don't like the perception we can make changes one way or
another.

Katherine Darges
Sr. Management Analyst
National Security Programs Group