Re: Why marketing should make the user manuals

Subject: Re: Why marketing should make the user manuals
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Keri Morgret" <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:06:57 -0700

We create all our product document source files in glorious full
color, using page layouts, covers, header/footers, etc., etc., either
designed or at least blessed by our Marketing department. The only stuff in them that is in B&W is what comes out of the product data that way, and the only thing that determines whether something is printed in B&W or color is the printing budget, which is set by the same execs who set the Marketing budget. If they want glossy, full color product manuals all they have to do is check off a different box when they order them.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keri Morgret" <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>

Here's a blog post from the Creating Passionate Users blog calling for marketing to make user manuals..the marketing brochures look great, then when we get the people in, we give them dull black and white user manuals.