Re: Are .bmp files really that bad?

Subject: Re: Are .bmp files really that bad?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:24:21 -0400

Are they really what bad?

BMPs support RGB color, so they're not good for CMYK output, but then
neither is FrameMaker for Windows nor Word ....

BMPs are large, but once you make the PDF, the size of the BMP becomes
irrelevant.

BMPs don't support transparency, and while neither does FM internally, the
transparency is used in the PDF output.

BMPs are not Web-ready, but most methods of getting FrameMaker to the Web
convert graphics well enough, anyway, so it's really a non-issue.

IMHO, PNG is a better solution than BMP, but I'd have a hard time justifying
the conversion ....

So, I guess the question is, why do you say "that bad," what do you have in
mind when you say that?

HTH

On 8/31/06, Carrie Baker <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

I<snip>
But is .bmp that bad?
Is there any reason that I should convert the .bmp files I have now to
.png (will it affect the project, or PDF in anyway?) or should I
leave them as they are?
thanks

T.

STC-Connecticut Chapter Fall Kickoff "Elis on Whitney," Hamden CT, September
30 6pm
http://www.stc-ct.org