Re: "shorthand" vs. plain writing style

Subject: Re: "shorthand" vs. plain writing style
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, Yves Barbion <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:29:19 -0400

Not true, Ned. Sorry to disagree. When we read, we go thru a series of
activities, some of which involve eye movement and others that involve
cognitive processing. One of the biggies is congnitive parsing. Simply
put, cognitive parsing is the act of anticipating the next word or part of
speech based on what's gone before. Leaving out words, then, provides
a larger cognitive load, not a lesser one, as our brains must re-parse
the phrase or sentence that does not meet our expectations, in effect,
filling in the words that the author saw fit to omit.

my two cents
-Sue Gallagher