RE: The Documentation Being Put Through Qual Assistance Process

Subject: RE: The Documentation Being Put Through Qual Assistance Process
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Agnes Starr" <zigrocstarr -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:37:28 -0700

I think it's unusual that they put documentation under QA. I'm
disappointed that they're forcing you to adopt the QA process with
seemingly no reason.

I am not surprised, though, because I am never surprised at *anything* a
typical organization does. In engineering, there's a saying that "when
all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." People with
limited vision and understanding of the real goals have a tendency to
manage everything the same way. This isn't always the best way to
motivate people!

I don't particularly object to having my documentation go through a QA
process. I have been using "bug reporting" for 20 years now, so I'm
usually *more* knowledgeable about it than the people doing it! I was
also fortunate to work at Hewlett-Packard, which was once a forerunner
and leader in real, intelligent QA process.

What you've described is a QA model that doesn't really match the
process you know and use. That's a very poor way of doing QA, and can
not deliver the quality that the department is supposed to provide.

I am sure you find this change very frustrating and upsetting on many
levels, and you should. I do counsel you, though, that change can be
opportunity. You have a chance to learn more about QA and also to show
to your management that you're a positive, flexible, committed person.
Point out when the process interferes with your goal of delivering high
quality documentation on time. Stick to the goals rather than the
process.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.