Re: Consulting Fees

Subject: Re: Consulting Fees
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:02:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>

Nope. Double your salary and then divide by 2. Why? Insurance,
infrastructure, and other overhead costs. It generally costs a company
twice your salary to employ you.

A reasonably good general rule for estimating the rate
you need (as opposed to the one you can actually get)
is to figure what it will cost you to buy all the bennies
you're not getting as a non-employee and add that to
the income you require. For me, that usually means
adding about 50%. The total cost to a company, its
bill rate for labor or the fact that the bennies might
be coming from somewhere else is irrelevant.

That said, I know a lot fo writers who still to this day are charging
less than $50/hr for consulting services. I just shake my head,
because I don't get it. Meanwhile I know writers who charge over
$100/hr for the same types of services, and get it consistently.

The rate the market will bear varies enormously with
region and the individual's particular qualifications.
Here in silicon valley it's not unusual to find individul
contributors with specialized technical backgrounds
at $110k+ as direct employees, so if you bring one in
as a contractor, the rates usually *start* at around $75/hr.
I can get a writer without the technical chops for as
low as $40/hr.

Gene Kim-Eng