Re: Consulting Fees

Subject: Re: Consulting Fees
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:55:50 -0400

Andrew Warren wrote:

One thing that hasn't been discussed is how to know when, and by how
much, to RAISE your rate.

When I was consulting, I tied my hourly rate to the cost of a US
First-Class postage stamp. When the postal rates changed, my rate
changed by the same percentage. Worked great, and cross-checking
confirmed that my rate always fell between my auto mechanic's and my
lawyer's, so I figured it was reasonable.

What a great idea. After all, we are a business when we are consulting.
Our client raises their rates annually. Why can't we?
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to
answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt