Simplified English (take II)

Subject: Simplified English (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:00:43 -0400

Jason Czekalski wondered about the $315 cost of the simplified English support materials: <<Given how well most of us can do with "complex" English, why should we pay $315 to learn a so-called simplified version. I think most of us do a pretty good job of simplifying without the written standard.>>

It's important to make a distinction here: "simplified English" is not about making our standard English writing less complex, which is something any reasonably good writer can do. It's about controlling vocabulary and grammar so tightly that when it's impossible to translate and localize documentation, you can produce something that any reader who has been trained to understand this subset of standard English will be able to understand--no matter what their native language and skill as a reader.

A good writer can go a long way in this direction without any training in simplified English, but the standard developed by AECMA goes much, much farther and has been proven in real-world applications (with a focus on aerospace). It's clearly a suboptimal solution (i.e., full translation and localization is better in an ideal situation), but often simplified English is the only feasible solution.

As a _writer_, I hate simplified English and everything it stands for. But as a _technical_ writer, I recognize that it fills an important need and accomplishes something it would be difficult to accomplish in any other way.

www.geoff-hart.com