Re: WinHelp on Vista

Subject: Re: WinHelp on Vista
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Evans, Stuart" <stuart -dot- evans -at- artisansw -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:53:47 -0400

Do any of you know whether our current help solution (WinHelp files + ROBOEX32.DLL) will work on Vista after the WinHelp engine is downloaded?

Yes, but every single user will have to download and install the exe,
and it is not redistributable.

Should my company decide that it is not acceptable to expect users to download the help engine, is there an easy way to migrate to HTML Help whilst continuing to edit the topics within Word documents? Note that years ago as a test I used RoboHelp for WinHelp 9 to generate HTML from my source files and the results were very poor on the presentation front. I suspect that later versions of RoboHelp do a better job?

RoboHelp should have a migration path for you. I don't know how easy
it will be as I haven't used RoboHelp in about 8 years.

Like most technical authors, I have to do the best I can in the time available (and there is never enough time), so it does make me wonder why Microsoft are being so awkward about supporting WinHelp on Vista - users are bound to install applications that use WinHelp files.

It's been a long process and this lack of support was announced many
months ago. If you're not on HATT, and you author Help often, I
suggest you join. The announcements are not always made on HATT, but
are usually re-announced there within hours of the information hitting
the streets.

My advice to you is to budget the time in now for conversion to CHM,
making your company aware that in order to support Vista customers
with the least amount of user intervention, you must migrate to CHM
and that means your time as well as development's/QA's time in
altering and testing the c-s links from HLP to CHM.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter