Re: FWD: Cutting a contract short

Subject: Re: FWD: Cutting a contract short
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:18:20 -0700

Beth Agnew wrote:

<snip>

I entered into a contract with them in good faith.
If you did so where I work, we would both be contracting in good faith under the law of Employment at Will, which allows employers to terminate employees and contractors without prior notice or explanation. Employees have the same option of moving on without giving notice or explanation. I imagine that the law was propounded by business owner interests, and represents the most favorable arrangement for them, so I (with some sudden lay-offs behind me) have little or no compunction about exercising my at-will option. It is expected, in all quarters, and understood as an honorable business decision (oxymoron not intended, but there it is)..
Aware of my budget, I negotiated with the agency to get a professional that could do the job for the price I offered. I expect that person to fulfill their agreement. It would do more for their relationship with me if they complete their contract, and satisfy the objectives of the project. They can tell me they have another offer, but I would still expect them to be as good as their word. I would try to accommodate them working both, but I certainly would not be pleased to have them leave before the job is done.
I guess there's a little bit of the hostage's dilemma in this situation. Honestly, being myself a product of this age where the rules accord equal (or better) rights to impersonal entities as to individuals, I would be inclined to treat the situation impersonally. No civil or criminal penalties ensue from this decision, and the business-like response should be in kind. That's what the global economy is all about!
I don't care what kind of happy little transition plan they might come up with, I would expect every contractor to be professional in his/her dealings with me. To me, ending a contract before things are done is not professional.
From the trenches, I sometimes reflect back on an easier time. But it is g-o-n-e, man. History. Pffft. Welcome to my planisphere.

Whatever happened to integrity and commitment in business?

It should be clarified in the initial interview as requirements.

File this under Ethics in Technical Communication.
A good choice!

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com