Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: TECHWR-L Listowner <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:00:03 -0600 (MDT)

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...

* JOB: Technical Writer Needed in CosmoCom, Inc. (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Book to Web: Adobe FrameMaker 2006 Conference
* ANNOUNCE: STC Region 2 Conference in London UK
* SALE: Legacy Acrobat and FrameMaker Software For Sale
* ANNOUNCE: Negotiation Workshop at LavaCon
* ANNOUNCE: Looking for FrameMaker 7: The Complete Reference?

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

JOB: Technical Writer Needed in CosmoCom, Inc.

CosmoCom, Inc. is seeking a technical writer with proven
experience in product documentation. Must present samples
demonstrating task oriented writing. Needs working knowledge of
Visio and one of these other graphics tools: SnagIt, Paint Shop
Pro, or Adobe Photoshop. Experienced with FrameMaker 6.0 and
Microsoft Office. Preference given to those with wiki writing
background. Experience writing macros and scripts is helpful.

The position is in Melville, Long Island.

Please send your resumes to Lisa Giordano, lgiordano -at- cosmocom -dot- com -dot-
If possible try to include a writing sample showing a task
oriented procedure.

09/06/06 - 09/15/06

>From Book to Web: Adobe FrameMaker 2006 Conference Unites Users, Technologists and Publishing Luminaries

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NORTH CAROLINA, September 6, 2006 â?? Bright Path Solutions today announced that the annual Adobe® FrameMaker® Chautauqua will be held at the Hilton Austin Texas Airport hotel from November 8-10, 2006. The educational summit gathers FrameMaker creators together with technical users, top publishing industry professionals and innovative FrameMaker tools and training vendors.

Adobe FrameMaker combines the simplicity of word process authoring with the power of advanced layout capabilities and XML publishing, making it easier to re-purpose content and publish to multiple channels, including print, PDF, HTML, and XML. The software includes long-document support and book management features, templates and rich formatting options, support for high-quality printing, integration of scalable vector graphics and Quadralay WebWorks® Publisher 8.0 software to automatically create HTML versions of documents and books.

Highlighting this year's program are speakers Don Day, Lead DITA Architect for IBM and Chair of the OASIS DITA Technical Committee and RJ Jacquez, Senior Technical Evangelist of Adobe. Keynote speakers also include Don Bridges, commercial tech docs manager at Data Conversion Laboratory and Bob Doyle, Technology Advisor for CM Professionals.

In addition, the conference will feature presentations from Leigh White of Misys Healthcare Systems, certified Adobe expert, technical trainer, and author Bernard Aschwanden and W. Eliot Kimber, (Dr. Macro) from Innodata Isogen, 25-year veteran of mark-up based writing and publishing, member of the XSL Formatting Objects subgroup of the XSL Working Group (W3C) and member of the DITA Technical Committee for OASIS Open.

This conference will provide attendees access to Adobe management and publishing technical strategists, education and training on topics including optimizing for localization, creating context-sensitive help, translating FrameMaker documents, accessing free FrameMaker resources and more.

"Leading companies in the document publishing business such as Misys Healthcare, Cisco Systems, The Mayo Clinic and IBM are just a few of the firms represented at the Chautauqua," said Kay Ethier, founder of Bright Path Solutions. "Find out how to author and publish books and large technical documents online. Come learn from pros, talk to technologists who shape the future of publishing software and connect with peers to learn new techniques and uses of FrameMaker."

The conference host, Bright Path Solutions, develops structured XML content solutions and provides consulting and training services to organizations of all sizes.

Pricing for the three-day event starts at $800 U.S. Visit conf.travelthepath.com for additional details or contact Bright Path Solutions at 1.919.244.8559 or info -at- travelthepath -dot- com -dot-

09/06/06 - 09/15/06

ANNOUNCE: STC Region 2 Conference in London UK

The STC Region 2 Conference takes place in London on
13th-14th October 2006. Our theme is
"Making Cents of Making Sense: Technical Communications and Business"

This is a shaping up to be a truly international event, with
speakers from the USA, Canada, the UK and France, and registered
delegates from Australia, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Israel,
Slovenia, Norway, the USA, and the UK.

We have been able to keep the price for this event incredibly
low because of generous support from major commercial
sponsors taking part in our vendor exhibition, including
Adobe, Madcap Software, and AuthorIT.

For full details and to register see the conference web site at
http://www.stcuk.org/R2conf

Book before 15th September to benefit from "early-bird"
discount prices.

09/05/06 - 09/30/06

SALE: Legacy Acrobat and FrameMaker Software For Sale

I am cleaning out some space to make room for a home gym.
I have a number of shrink wrapped, retail legacy versions
of Acrobat and FrameMaker that need new homes.

Contact Carl Young at subcriptions -at- pdftrain -dot- com for questions
or to buy. Arizona residents will pay sales tax. Sorry,
no sales outside of U.S. and Canada.

Everyone pays UPS ground freight plus $10 handling.
Major credit cards and PayPal accepted.

All software is U.S. English, and are full licenses
unless noted.
â?¢ Acrobat 4 Windows $50 (two available)
â?¢ Acrobat 5 Mac $79
â?¢ Acrobat 5 Win upgrade $50
â?¢ Acrobat 6 Pro Mac $225
â?¢ FrameMaker 5.5.6 Win/Mac on sale at Ebay.
Search for item 190023446933.
â?¢ FrameMaker 6 UNIX $499
â?¢ FrameMaker 6 Mac $399
â?¢ FrameMaker+SGML 6 Win $549

08/25/06 - 08/31/06

ANNOUNCE: Negotiation Workshop at LavaCon

Steven Roosa (a professional buyer for Verizon Wireless) and Peggy Gerace-Roosa (a process manager at Earthlink) will be presenting their incredible negotiation workshop again this year.

Whether you're asking for a raise, trying to secure additional resources, or simple want to take some comp time, you use negotiation skills all the time.

See the Programs page at www.lavacon.org for a detailed description and for registration information.

Want to increase your income or sphere of influence?

Don't miss this workshop!

LavaCon: The Conference for Advanced Tech Comm Professionals
October 1 - 4, 2006 Kauai, Hawaii
888-378-2333 www.lavacon.org

07/27/06 - 08/24/06~1163

ANNOUNCE: Looking for FrameMaker 7: The Complete Reference?

FrameMaker 7: The Complete Reference is now back in print as Publishing Fundamentals: FrameMaker 7. Don\'t pay $100-200 for used copies of The Complete Reference when you can get a new copy of Publishing Fundamentals for $59.99.

Publishing Fundamentals is available through Scriptorium Publishing:

http://www.scriptorium.com/books/fm7/index.html

You get free standard shipping in the United States when you place your order through our online store:

http://store.scriptorium.com/

The pagination of the two books is nearly identical, so you can easily find the same information in either book.

Contact books -at- scriptorium -dot- com for more information.

08/01/06 - 08/07/06~1164

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Lisa

(lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/postad.html.