Re: R-E-S-P-E-C-T me! (Please!)?

Subject: Re: R-E-S-P-E-C-T me! (Please!)?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Ken Poshedly <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:34:18 -0700 (PDT)

> It's worth noting that no professions is inherently deserving of
> respect. Only people are, and professions that routinely produce
> people who are worthy of our respect are seen as respectable
> professions. As you note:

Actually, I'll go even farther...no profesion OR PERSON is inherently
worthy of respect. This is different than treating them repectfully.
I'll treat most people respectfully, but everyone's gotta earn my
respect.

As far as makikng development respect you, this doesn't happen. You
need to earn it.

Now, it shouldn't require their respect for you (or even like you) to
find out about a major product change. However, being that management
cannot control the people and processes they are managing, this
leaves it to you

Where I am now, I'm lucky to be in an environmnt where documentation
has had a string of strong managers and documentation is ingrained in
the minds of development that we are always invited the weekly
meeting that every product team has, we're copied on every project
plan, and have yay/nay rights for schedulikng releases.

OTOH, I've been at places where it was not this way.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."