RE: Engineering specs: The way it spozed to be?

Subject: RE: Engineering specs: The way it spozed to be?
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:51:18 -0400

Very broadly, I'd distinguish between revising a document (updating it
to reflect reality) and releasing a document (making it an Official
Thing -- "freezing" it).

Manuals are released to end users according to your company's unique
needs -- Help desk, marketing, etc. The same goes for releasing an
official spec: "This is now version 5.3.0 of our software. Bask in its
glory."

However! Followed by many exclamation points!!! A big part of our job is
to make sure that somewhere, under our control, there's a document
that's up to date. Revise it, control it with version numbering, back it
up, and make sure it has a nice glass of milk before bed.

What you're trying to avoid is that last-minute panic of trying to
revise a document to reflect all of the changes that have taken place,
undocumented, since they last released the documentation (i.e., during
the Hoover administration).

In other words, *all* changes should be written down.

In an ideal world, the engineers revise the spec before they change
stuff. In *your* world, the VP doesn't even expect them to revise the
spec *after* they change stuff! All you can do, to the best of your
ability, is to keep safe revisions of the end-user documentation and the
spec (yes, that too).

Of course, you should also make your documents useful and available to
everyone. Be friendly, be organized, and you may yet subvert their
chaotic culture until they see the virtue of your ways.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.