Re: Contractor Rates

Subject: Re: Contractor Rates
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:25:29 -0400

Combs, Richard wrote:

Well, you've made your formula way more complicated than it needs
to be.

I only did that because most people relate to work weeks, and in come
of our contracts, we would use an FTE for only a portion of a month,
such as during a startup phase.

Assuming that you know there are 52 weeks in a year, you can arrive at
2080 simply by multiplying 52 by 40, which you can do in your head by
doubling 52, doubling again, and adding a zero.

I gave up higher math a long time ago....if I can't use my solar
powered calculator, or an Excel spreadsheet, it probably won't get
calculated.

But people generally take some holidays and vacations, so most of us
allow 2 weeks for that, making the math even simpler: 50 x 40 = 2000.

True, people do take holidays and vacations, but most are paid
holidays and vacations; hence, 2080 hours versus 2000 hours.

Vacations or not, if your rule of thumb involves math to two decimal
places, I contend you're missing the point of rules of thumb. ;-)

Totally agree here. My thumb doesn't have any decimal places.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design,

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
note cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know
whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt