Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?

Subject: Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?
From: "Diana Ost" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: lara -at- laraspence -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:13 -0400

I am curious, do you know *why* they are insisting on a command-line app?
Maybe they don't understand the context sensitive help aspect of what you
are doing?

It just seems an odd request to me. By way of background, I've been
Robohelping since version 1, early 90's. I'm not sure I've ever gotten that
request before. I have had developers ask me how to "hook" the context
sensitive help to their application, though.

Di

On 9/19/06, Lara Spence <lara_spence -at- yahoo -dot- ca> wrote:

Hi all,

I am working for a small high tech company in Richmond, BC, Canada, and I
want to provide a usable context-sensitive HTML-based help system for a web
based application. So far, I've started in FrameMaker on the print version,
using conditional text to enable me to do an administrator's guide and
user's guide (much less functionality in the application for 'user'
audience) from the same source, plus an "online" condition for administrator
help content. I had thought to use Frame->MIF->RoboHelpHTML to get the help
system but our development team wants it automated using the command line so
they can integrate the help creation into existing unattended build system.
Their ultimate goal is a command-line script that will take my FrameMaker
files and produce web help, with index and search, like the help I can
create with RoboHelpHTML manually.

Some challenges/questions:
- does anyone know how to run RoboHelpHTML from the command line?
- what tools (other then these ones if I'm on an impossible quest) would
you suggest? (assume for a moment we scrap either one or both Frame and
RoboHelpHTML)? eg. Author IT can import MIF, for example)
- has anyone done anything like this?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Lara Spence
Technical Writer
lara -at- laraspence -dot- com

---------------------------------

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Di
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest. -Mohandas K.
Gandhi (1869-1948)